Tuesday 27 May 2008

WHAT IS A HERB?

What is a herb

I know this seems a very strange question but it is one I have been forced to ask my self this last week. I have mentioned before the Eco-School project I am involved in; planting a native wild woodland garden within the grounds of the school. This gardening project is quite large, it covers a fair sized piece of land but now I have been asked to take over a second, much smaller piece of land. This other piece of land lies right next to the main entrance to the school, it’s only about four meters by two meters and the reason I have been asked to deal with it is; well…… no one else seems to want to take responsibility for it. Apparently there used to be bushes and shrubs there but they were deemed a ‘rubbish’ trap and dug up. The gardeners don’t want it grassed because their rather large mower will not fit into such a small space.  I was asked if I could ‘do’ something with it as part of Eco-Schools, well how could  I refuse? I had a bit of a think and because it is part of Eco-Schools I thought we should be a bit more ambitious than an ordinary flower border. This brings me to the point. We have decided this tiny plot will make a lovely herb garden. Hence the question; ‘What is a herb?’ I must admit I didn’t think an answer to such a simple question could be so complex or so variable. It seems as if there could be many answers to the question. At times the term ‘HERB’  has been limited to only a dozen or so of seasoning and a handful of healing plants. Herbs have also been defined as plants of wisdom; plants that could help, assist and lead you along the path of life whether it be by healing or by an experience of becoming unwell and learning from it



To the botanist a herb is a shortening of the word herbaceous and describes a non-woody plant, which dies back down to the ground annually. Botanically the term is chiefly applied to perennials, although it can be applied to annuals as well as biennials.

The primary definition given by dictionaries is "a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a growing season." But; these botanical definitions eliminate many plants that are traditionally regarded and used as herbs.


There are many definitions, but the one that appeals to me is direct and to the point, it is A useful plant’ . If any part of a plant; flower, leaf, or stem is useful, or has efficacious properties, as an ingredient for health, flavour, or fragrance then, according to this definition, it is a herb. Using this definition herbs can include trees, annuals, perennials, seaweed and even funghi!

Herbs can be used medicinally, culinarily, as pest repellents, dyes or as aromatics. They can be used to make teas, perk up food or to add flavour to vinegars, butters, dips, confectionary and mustards. Many herbs are grown for their fragrance and are used in potpourris or to scent bathwater, candles, oils or perfumes.

The scientific / biochemical study of plants as medicine has its own terminology Phytomedicine, Phytotherapy and Phytopharmacology, to name but a few, but this is not of interest in this context.


If we take the definition of ‘A useful plant’, herbs have a variety of uses including culinary, medicinal, or in some cases even spiritual usage. The green, leafy part of the plant is often used, but herbal medicine makes use of the roots, flowers, seeds, root bark, inner bark (cambium), berries and sometimes the pericarp or other portions. General usage differs between culinary herbs and medicinal herbs. A medicinal herb may be a shrub or other woody plant, whereas a culinary herb is a non-woody plant, typically using the leaves. Any of the parts of the plant, as well as any edible fruits or vegetables, might be considered "herbs" in medicinal or spiritual use.

Culinary use of the term "herb" is much more specific and narrow. Culinary use typically distinguishes between herbs, the leafy green parts of the plant, and spices, all the other parts of the plant, including seeds, berries, bark, root, fruit, and even occasionally leaves. Culinary herbs are distinguished from vegetables in that they are used in small amounts and provide flavor (similar to spices) rather than substance to food.

Any plant contains numerous phytochemicals that have varying effects on the body. Even when consumed in the small levels that typify culinary "spicing", there may be some effects, and some herbs are toxic in larger quantities. For instance, some types of herbal extract, such as the extract of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort), or the Piper methysticum (kava plant) can be used for medical purposes to relieve depression and stress. But high amounts of these herbs may lead to poisoning, and should be used with caution.

Having found as many definitions as I could ever possibley want my next question is; What herbs shall we plant in our tiny herb garden? Bearing in mind that this plot is small, aproximatly four meters by two meters and it sits right outside the main entrance to the school, what would be the best herbs to plant there?

I have in mind herbs that give off a strong aromatic smell, something that the visitor would notice as she passes through the doors and into the school. Something that would activly welcome a visitor, that would make a pleasant and lasting impression on anyone who passes through our front doors. I think they would also have to fairly hardy plants, no good having something too fragile in such a busy place, especially a place peopled mostly buy boistrous teenagers. And my final thoughts on the subject was to find herbs that have been  traditionally used to encourage and stimulate the intellect and facilitate learning. If there are herbs out there that can create a tranquil oasis of peace and harmony, a place where learning is valued and sought after, well those are the herbs I want. Now I know this is a bit of a tall order but any suggestions greatfully received. 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely post!
    Off the top of my head, rosemary, lavender [both varieties], bay leaf, purple and white sage plants, echinacea, i would say borage but it seeds heavily and may take over! , and mint. these are all easy to grow, and very pretty too, with many delicious scents :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW..............thank you, I didn't know if this would get a serious response but not only have you responded but you did it virtually immediatly...............THANKS NEIGHBOUR

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite herbal type plants is Monarda... especially the large red flowered one. I like having it where I brush up against it or crush a leaf as I'm working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...thank you for sharing it....I kill plants so maybe if the Goddess will look down on me and bless me they will thrive lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Loretta.... this is a wonderful idea.... Love your scholarly dissertation on herbs. Well done. Peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. an herb is a weed some nut came across one day, in the woods, and thought: self, now what IS this and....more important...can i COOK WITH IT and not die? hence....the birth of HERBS! sorry, thats as useful as my brain gets. but hey, lets give a moment of thanks to that nut....without him or HER, our food surely would be bland and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very interesting post. I am so interested to read about herbs and to run out and plant them as well. I think I had something in mind until the last sentence....chamomile (sp). The minty plants mentioned above as well as the ever minty catnip(which takes over a garden if not tended to).Rosemary and lavendar(my favorite) are planted by my back door....lovely scent, however I don't know that they induce me to higher learning,just the soothing scent. You are well on the way to a beautiful plot. Many good wishes that you find exactly what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes!Chamomile! Another hardy favourite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post! thanks much, have fun with your school project

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea! Even weeds can be herbs. I would do alot of research first tho before you choose. Some are quite invasive and you wouldnt want ones that can be deadly. There are a few of those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have inspired me to put up some pictures of my herbs; this is a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete