Friday 30 January 2009

Time for a New Kitchen, no 2

Time for a New Kitchen, no 2

Well I did say I’d keep you informed so here is a short update on the ‘New Kitchen’. The dream is getting closer, slowly one step at a time my new kitchen is beginning to happen. The Dishwasher and Washing Machine have already been delivered.

I messed up a bit on the timing because now I need to store them until the sink and work surfaces are delivered and fitted. No small task in a two bedroom apartment. They both sit in my hallway still in their boxes and plastic, ohhhh it’s so tempting to rip off all the packaging and look at them, but so far I’ve resisted, don’t want my shiny new things scratched before they are even plumbed in.

The units and work surfaces are due to be delivered early March and the joiner has already been to arrange a start date. Some time next week I’ll be off buying wall tiles, wall paper and paint.

The sink unit is very high gloss white so I’m painting the other units to match, the work surfaces will be black. I didn’t exactly plan on having a black and white kitchen but that’s the way it seems to be evolving.

I’ve been looking at black and white wallpaper but haven’t decided on any thing yet…………..there’s just so much to choose from. I’ve not been here very much this week because I have been working away stripping layers of wallpaper. I go to my work, come home, eat tea and then start work all over again in the kitchen. It’s hard work and I still have so far to go but I just keep thinking how nice it’s going to be once every thing is finished. And what do you think of these wallpapers?? I’m quite taken with the buildings but no decisions have been made

10 comments:

  1. I like the buildings myself. The black and white theme is very appealing for a kitchen...but then ofcourse you will need snappy red applianaces.Like toaster, mixer, coffee pot. oh the joys of redecorating. Again I wish you much luck.I know it isn't fun...but the end result will thrill you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm I like both of them, I think your kitchen sounds really sharp and chic looking-pace yourself-and don't over do-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the buildings wallpaper also. My neighbors decorated the kitchen in black and white. They use red as the accent color and sometimes change to a bright, almost sunflower, yellow. Both look very nice. I was able to choose the kitchen when I bought my condominium. I choose black for the large appliances and work surfaces and a light sand color for the tile floor and the cabinetry.

    Whenever we have redecorated a room, it has always been such a good feeling of accomplishment when finished that we just seemed to forget all of the hard work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. although I like the building I think the other would do better over the long run-and the buildings could make your kitchen seem smaller opticaly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think about what surface will be papered, will it be overwhelming or not. How will it strike you at breakfast time? :-)
    I agree with the others who mentioned colorful accents.

    This is great! I'm sure you will enjoy using your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very artistic so I'm sure you can visualize your kitchen with either of these two wallpapers. You could even make a drawing. I would choose something to make my kitchen look bigger. Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum was having her kitchen renovated last week and went through some hassles while all the carpentry was going on. Mum and Dad had to buy a lot of take-away for that week. Whatever you do with your kitchen it's going to look very snappy and contempo. Having a black and white kitchen can mean you can accessorise with some bright appliances, like ruraldiva mentioned, above. Maybe you can put one of your brightly painted images on one wall, something large and eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yep, we seem to be thinking along similar lines. I have a big, old red chair that I am very fond of, I bought it from the second hand market last summer and I thought it would look very nice in my new black and white kitchen. I also have a bright red plant holder that I could place in the middle of the table. Thanks RD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much every one, progress is a bit slow but steady...............

    ReplyDelete