Sunday 25 January 2009

Time for a New Kitchen

TIME FOR A NEW KITCHEN

I hadn’t  sat down and thought …..’hey I think I’ll get myself a new kitchen’.. For a start, I can’t actually afford a whole new kitchen and secondly I hate waste and like to use things until they've worn out and need replacing. No the thought process  wasn’t ………….lets go get a new kitchen, it was more like a thought chain reaction.


The thought processes started back in November when my washing machine died. At the time it was too near to Christmas to even think about things like that, so once a week I have been bagging my laundry and taking it to my daughter. This was always intended as a temporary solution until after Christmas when I could look around for an inexpensive machine. Then I began thinking if I had to buy a washing machine maybe I could look for a dishwasher and possibly get a good deal on both machines. I’ve wanted a dishwasher for ages, it’s far more energy efficient to put the dishwasher on every few days than it is to heat the water and use detergents several times a day. From there it didn’t take long to start thinking about the unit that houses the sink, it’s rotten and the wood is swollen with water over the years. Then of course there is the stainless steel sink and drainer, very old and dented which means it doesn’t drain properly which means there is always a puddle of water which means my sleeve always gets wet.  By this time the thought processes were on a roll and I just had to acknowledge the awful state of my work surfaces, very worn and scratched. When I moved into this place I cleaned every thing up, painted all the walls and made do. I’ve painted most of the walls again at least once since then but………………..sigh……………the kitchen wallpaper has started hanging off the walls, guess its time to strip the walls and do a proper job.

So this is my plan, new washing machine, new dishwasher, new sink unit with new sink and taps. Paint the other units that are still usable to match the new one, new matching work surfaces over the whole lot, tiles above the sink area and finish off with nice new wall paper.

The appliances and new sink have been ordered, the joiner has been in to see what needs doing now all I have to do is to strip the walls and make them ready for the work to be done. As luck would have it I have been babysitting all weekend, this time they had to earn their keep. Oh what a wicked Granny I am. Will keep you posted cos think this is going to take a while.



19 comments:

  1. lots of work, and lots to look forward to. i am sure you will make it fun for the grand babies. ; D good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww I bet they are lovin it.Congrats on the kitchen makeover, Loretta. I can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids love to wreck things so making them rip off wallpaper is fun. hehehee Cant wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see your makeover finished too! My kitchen, like the bathroom, is tiled from floor to ceiling. I want to redo my whole flat one day. Maybe I can hire your grandchildren. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The demolitian crew always has a great time /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The work crew is adorable and they look like they are having a grand time. Congrats on your new kitchen. I want one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to borrow your crew to help work on my spare bedroom. The Grandchildren want me to have a guest room for them, so they will be helping with getting it ready. I replaced the kitchen last year and then couldn't afford to put food in it. :-} Good luck with getting the job done and surviving the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish to have a dishwasher as well
    I love the photos a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I think I've just found a way to earn extra cash..........I'm gonna be their agent and hire then out by the hour.......think I could earn quite a bit :)
    Seriously........thanks for your comments,
    yes it is going to be a lot of work and yes KEVIN......its going to cost more than I hoped but sadly it just has to be done.
    FRANK what a great idea, i have a spare room that the kids use at weekends but maybe I could get them to redecorate it themselves and thanks for your good wishes, think I'm going to need them

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started the same... one thought at a time.... shopped for a lot of bargains, did things piecemeal.... the cabinets still need a coat of paint... but it 's pretty much done....

    love your workers.... do they work for cookies and milk?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was my original idea but my daughters said floor to ceiling tiling only looks good in a bathroom not a kitchen. I don't really agree but its cheaper to buy paper than tiles and also I can hang wallpaper myself but I need to have someone else do the tiling. I would quite like to do the tiling myself but am a bit afraid to try, i want it to look good so i think I'll have to get someone else to do it. What do you think?? is total tiling good in kitchens as well as bathrooms......maybe you could show me a photo ?
    thanks Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was my original idea but my daughters said floor to ceiling tiling only looks good in a bathroom not a kitchen. I don't really agree but its cheaper to buy paper than tiles and also I can hang wallpaper myself but I need to have someone else do the tiling. I would quite like to do the tiling myself but am a bit afraid to try, i want it to look good so i think I'll have to get someone else to do it. What do you think?? is total tiling good in kitchens as well as bathrooms......maybe you could show me a photo ?
    thanks Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep they do but fraid I'll be looking for an agents fee :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that was my original idea, tile from floor to ceiling but my daughters said that only looks good in a bathroom not a kitchen. I don't really agree with them but maybe I could see a picture of yours. Also of course tiles are a lot more expensive than wall paper and I can hang paper myself but need the tiles done for me. I would quite like to do the tiling myself but want it to look nice so think I should pay someone to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Water, soapy at that, and kids.....they will remember helping gran for years. After the paper is up and the stuff installed they will still take full credit. What a wonderful family project. I too did it all myself. Papering the kitchen was a mistake in my house because there isn't an exhaust fan...paper rolled off the walls in no time. I wish you much luck. Keep the sore muscles at bay with tiger balm....feels so good after a long day. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. quite a project but n the end it will be nice have fun hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, wonderful! It's so nice when long-going situations are bettered. And especially the kitchen, imho, because it is such a part of everyday life. Looking forward to seeing the pictures as the work progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was logical thought process. If one is going to do a job, one does it well, so I guess it was from the foundation up, for you, eh?

    As the first pic was opening I thought it was a photo of your tradesman hard at work, until I saw he was under 5 feet tall!

    I'm supposed to be getting a new kitchen installed in my flat by my landlords. They want me to go on holiday for at least 5 days so they can do the work. I'm not going any time soon...unfortunately!!!

    ReplyDelete