Saturday 26 February 2011

A family celebration and some music.


 Busy Saturday, my daughters 30th birthday, at times like this I feel so old.  We went out for a family meal, daughters who live far away, grandchildren, cousins and their children, friends and even a couple of babies. People and their dogs staying over, there was general mayhem, nice mayhem but exhausting. And then they were gone and I cleared away the debris left behind. Stayed up quite late because I started watching what turned out to be a terribly sad drama about Mo Moland, the politician who did most of the ground work that led to lasting peace in Northern Ireland. Mo was a very  sick woman, in part of the drama she is seen dancing around her living room in nightdress and slippers to this song, not this specific version of this song, but I’ve always liked Leonard Cohen so this is the version I chose. I’ve never really listened to this before, I quite like it. Seems like a nice way to end my hectic Saturday night ( Sunday Morning).


 

14 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely celebration, i hope your daughter had a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, my kids were brought up with dogs and all have dogs of their own now. They are, from left to right, Charlie, a white boxer belonging to my middle daughter ( the one who had the birthday), Maggie, an old English Bull dog and Shelby a bull terrier both belonging to my eldest daughter. The dog who stayed with me isn't here, thats my youngest daughters dog Daisy, a bearded terrier pup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that is a troupe

    lol


    great song

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard this song since I was little. I'm glad your family reunion was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great time was had by all. Happy Birthday to your daughter. Love that pic, those dogs are so cute, particularly the one on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - this rendition of the Tenn Waltz is fantastic. The steel guitar and - it brought me to tears. Has always been on of my faves. TY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks folks for your nice comments. I have to admit that prior to last night I was not at all familiar with this song, I'm not sure which version was used in the drama, it sounded quite old and was a harmony of female voices. I was drawn into it, I thought it was a lovely song, and in the context of the drama, moving and poignant
    And yes..............the family meal was good too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That certainly does sound like a fine celebration. Love the dogs!

    This is birthday season for my family, nine in a three month period.

    Patti Page's signature song, "Tennessee Waltz," recorded in 1950, was one of the biggest-selling singles of the twentieth century, and is now one of the two official songs of the State of Tennessee. "Tennessee Waltz" spent 13 weeks atop the Billboard magazine's Best-Sellers List in 1950.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek3eCbfqp0

    ReplyDelete
  9. That certainly does sound like a fine celebration. Love the dogs!

    This is birthday season for my family, nine in a three month period.

    Patti Page's signature song, "Tennessee Waltz," recorded in 1950, was one of the biggest-selling singles of the twentieth century, and is now one of the two official songs of the State of Tennessee. "Tennessee Waltz" spent 13 weeks atop the Billboard magazine's Best-Sellers List in 1950.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek3eCbfqp0

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great picture of those dogs. Would make a great painting, just the grouping of their heads together.

    It's nice when people come to visit, and nice when they go home too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks Frank, like I said I was not at all familiar with this, but since hearing it yesterday I've been listening to different versions. I think the one I heard yesterday on TV may have been a recording by the Fontain sisters but the only recording of that version I can find on youtube is a really poor quality recording taken from an old 33 rpm record.

    ReplyDelete