Wednesday 7 October 2009

ART SUNDAY; William-Adolphe Bouguereau




William-Adolphe Bouguereau
(November 30, 1825 – August 19, 1905)

I love this mans work, his attention to detail is perfect. Truly one of the greatest realist painters of all time, I think I am especially drawn to his work because of my own interest in portrait painting. I know how very difficult it is to get a likeness of the subject, and all of his portraits are sensitive and beautifully, delicately painted. I know of no other painter who reproduces skin tones the way he does. It’s well worth taking the time to follow the links and read up on this man.

Adolphe Bouguereau (November 30, 1825 – August 19, 1905) was a French academic painter. William Bouguereau (pronounced vill-yam boo-goh-roe) was a staunch traditionalist whose realistic genre paintings and mythological themes were modern interpretations of Classical subjects with a heavy emphasis on the female human body. Although he created an idealized world, his almost photo-realistic style was popular with rich art patrons. He was very famous in his time but today his subject matter and technique receive relatively little attention compared to the popularity of the Impressionists.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William-Adolphe_Bouguereau


http://www.bouguereau.org/

16 comments:

  1. Never heard of this artist, but I really like his style. What a wonderful portraitist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked him great loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. like this one to I like the way he portrays body language

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wonderful portraits. The classical style and mythological themes are very nicely worked into the details of the paintings. He obviously enjoyed his work as evidenced by this quotation:

    “Each day I go to my studio full of joy; in the evening when obliged to stop because of darkness I can scarcely wait for the next morning to come…if I cannot give myself to my dear painting I am miserable”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy and learn from your art sundays-thanks Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  6. very delicate, sweet and beautifull
    i was drawn to the ones of children
    perhaps because i am babysitting grandson
    i am playing with him as i play on the puter
    which i imagine is a hoot to see

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of them are marvelous. Each one telling a little story of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am attempting to host art sunday this week
    i have you added

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each of them seem to speak out of a special moment -- great post Loretta /;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Nemo...................just on my way over..................

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just love his art, loretta. i had never heard of him before today, thanks for the wonderful introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. His portraits are beautiful. i especially love "Rest in harvest".
    Thanks so much for this post. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks like a photograph - amazing!

    ReplyDelete