Tuesday 21 December 2010

Winter Solstice in the Snow






Winter Solstice in the snow.

I’ve not been around here for the last couple of months. I don’t need to bore you with the details of why; suffice to say it started with getting totally engrossed in a work project, working away at home into the early hours until the onset a flu virus that felt like the return of bubonic plague, closely followed by a mini ice age which left me housebound with no landline phone or internet and catastrophic plumbing problems.


Well I’m still living in the midst of snow, ice and sub- zero temperatures but at least all the other little problems seem to be sorted. And moving on………………………………………………

Today is two things, it’s the last day of term, school holidays are here again and of course it’s the Winter Solstice. School closed at noon today and about 30 of us headed into town for our Christmas lunch accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol. I didn’t do the evening drinking thing, I had lunch and a couple of drinks and headed home. Feeling very festive I took the scenic rout home and I’m so very glad I did. As I walked home the sun began to set behind me and the new moon rose in front of me. WOW…. What a wonderful sight.

Recently archaeological remains of an Iron Age settlement have been discovered on a building site half way between my house and this park. As the moon rose in front of me I couldn’t help looking around at this unspoilt, snow covered landscape and thinking of the people who lived here 2500 years ago.

There is something strangely comforting in the knowledge that 2500 years ago families came together in this very spot and watched the new moon rise over the horizon. The terrain and weather remain virtually unchanged since that time. There was probably snow on the ground then just as there is now. These ancient people who left no written records knew how to weave plaid and striped fabric from wool and flax and how to make clothes of woven cloth and animal hide to protect them from the freezing cold.

They knew how to work metal into the most intricate and delicate clasps and broaches to decorate their clothes. They produced mirrors of burnished metal decorated with patterns that remain familiar to us to day. I watched the moon rise and thought of the people who lived here all those years ago and felt very blessed by the unchanging, continuity of life.The sun set early today, about 3.45, by the time I reached the end of the park it was too dark to take any more photos. Sometimes things just happen, I didn’t plan on walking home via that rout, I didn’t plan on walking home as the sun was setting, the last day of term wasn’t planned to coincide with the winter solstice and no one planned on uncovering Iron Age remains so close by. All of these things were little coincidences that came together and gave me the most moving solstice experiences I’ve ever had.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the gift you have given us Loretta. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Your pictures, as always, are stunning. They are evocative of an earllier, ancient time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh loretta how wonderful --
    glad all your horific problems are solved--we to had tons of snow and now for 4 days rain everything is just a huge puddle of mud and left over mountains of melting snow and mud ugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that they found the old village remains
    to think how long ago that was gives you chills

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've encountered so many coincidences recently, or, at least I say they are. I'm glad you're better. I can just imagine the plumbing problems you had. I remember how the water in the pipes used to freeze when I was little. We take things like running water for granted until we find ourselves without them. Anyway, I'm glad you're back. I sure am looking forward to have a few days rest. Enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. School finished here on Friday. Your days seem shorter than ours. I'm glad many of your problems have been solved. It's good to take the scenic route from time to time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful experience Loretta-hugs from the ozarks

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all synchronicity Loretta!

    You have been missed!!!!

    So pleased to see you, to see your fabulous photographs... so sorry to hear about your difficulties ... wishing you and your hearth many bright blessings /|\

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Loretta. Nice to see you back. Was wondering where you'd gotten to. Sorry to hear about all the domestic problems. Some of those flu viruses going around are pretty damned virulent. Half the workforce where I work are down with them.
    Fabulous photos!! I love the 2nd and 5th ones particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty exciting about the ice age site being discovered. I thought you might well have been offline due to the weather conditions; the last news report I watched on tv is that Aussies in Britain were waiting for weather conditions to clear so they could get flights home for Christmas.

    Just past summer solstice here and so far it's been a mild start to summer. Lots of rain too, which is good for the garden. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete