Saturday 14 March 2009

Song saturday, The Prolaimers

SONG SATURDAY

This is very clever, the proclaimers sing ‘I’m on my way’ to an old laurel and hardy dance routine.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Proclaimers

Background information
Origin     Auchtermuchty, Scotland
Genre(s)     Folk rock, Pop
Occupation(s)     Singer-songwriters
Instrument(s)     Vocals
Years active     1983–present
Label(s)     Chrysalis Records
Website     Proclaimers.co.uk
Members
Charlie Reid
Craig Reid

The Proclaimers are a Scottish band composed of identical twins Charlie and Craig Reid (born 5 March 1962). They are best known for the songs 'Letter from America', 'I'm On My Way', and 'I'm Gonna Be' (500 Miles). I'm Gonna Be became the theme song for the film Benny & Joon (1993), and for several charity events, such as the Terry Fox Run and Red Nose Day 2007.
 


 

6 comments:

  1. excellent song! i love the proclaimers. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever decided that this song would fit Laurel and Hardy's dance routine got it right. Things like this always bring a smile. Thanks Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very enjoyable. I've heard the Proclaimers before and like their sound. The video is interesting, my eagle eye picked up that the dance routine was an early use of the blue screen (super imposed background) while the performers are working on a stage with no scenery. Actually quite good editing for 70 years ago. The Proclaimers synchronization with the video is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved these guys! I've got their original album on cassette. Their music is so 'out there' - loud and fun and singing in along in a Scottish accent isn't so hard - though you probably wouldn't agree with all the Aussie inflection in mine present! They named themselves, so I heard somewhere, for their singing delivery style, hence the 'proclaimers'. They've been out to Australia a couple of times.

    I haven't played that tape for a while so I should go find out where it is and put it on.
    ps I might be 'allowed' to attempt to sing in a Scottish accent being mostly descended from Scots and having a clan surname...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the first time I have heard of the Proclaimers. My husband hereticbard has heard of the 500 miles song and coincidentally he is reading a book that takes place in Scotland in the near future.
    The book is called Halting State by Charles Stross.
    It is a fun read says my hubby especially if you are a gamer.
    Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that the video with the music to match was very well done. Laural and Hardy are pretty good dancers.

    ReplyDelete