Friday 27 March 2009

Time for a New Kitchen no 8

Time for a New Kitchen no 8

As the weekend approaches I am feeling more 'utterly depressed and despondent', than stressed. I suppose I have developed some sort of grudging respect for the guy I employed, that's because he was so good about the mistakes that had been made in the tiling. He told the tiler to take out the tiles that were wrong and re-do it as I had originally requested, all at no extra cost to me. The tiler tried to argue with him, just as he had argued with me and tried to fob me off with excuses as to why his way was better, but I have to admit, the chap I employed was having none of it and insisted it all be re-done exactly as I wanted.  That renewed my faith a little, unfortunately it didn’t prevent the tiler doing exactly the same thing again on the other wall. This time I stood up to him and insisted he re-do it, which he did but only after telling me, yet again, why it looked better his way.

The kitchen is almost at the point where you can see what it is going to look like. My nice new shiny white doors are still covered in protectice blue plastic. The tiles are almost up on the back wall, the double sink unit is in and working, the washing machine is plumbed in and in the picture you can see the dishwasher waiting to go in next. On the left side of the picture you can see my black and white cooker with a shiny black ceramic top that is going next to the washing machine. That one wall will look rather nice.

 Now I can get some idea of how nice the back wall of my kitchen is going to look it makes me realise how shabby my other units are going to look no matter how well I paint them but there is no point thinking that cos no way can I afford to replace all the units. No …………they will be painted as planned, have new tiles above them and a new work surface on top. It will look a lot better than it does now so guess I should be happy.

But of course……………..not all is as well with this work as it should be. This morning I had a chance to inspect the work on my own in the full glare of the morning sun.
OH NO !!!!!!  My nice new black work surface is very badly damaged; it has terrible deep scratches covering an area of about 8sq inches (10sq cm). The tiler who arrived has just told me I can use a childs wax crayon to cover the scratches  !!!!.  AND………..then I noticed the ceramic top to my cooker (that I had left covered in a thick towel) is also very, very badly damaged. It is covered in very deep scores, it almost looks as if this guy has cut his tiles on top of my ceramic hob. I could never prove it of course but that is what it looks like . Ceramic top cookers do no come cheap as I am sure you know. The tillers response was along the lines of oh well it can’t be helped I suppose. Remember this is the guy who thinks kitchens should be completely stripped out to have any work done in them. Last night there was a bit of a rush to get the sink plumbed in and working which resulted in an old reused piece of plastic pipe being split. Of course it wasn’t replaced, for a start he doesn’t seem to carry any of the stuff he might need, and secondly……….well he has some tape which he says fixes every thing!!! Let’s hope it does. That is something else I have noticed about him, he doesn’t seem to plan ahead, every so often he says he just has to pop out for something, sometimes he has done this a couple of times per night,……….all at my expense no doubt. The final nightmare is the bill…………….I still don’t know how much they are going to charge for this nightmare.


I am trying very hard to be philosophical about this and treat it as an expensive (very) learning curve. In future I think I will have a check list before letting any one start work, it should go something like this
  •      The one thing I have learnt is that if I EVER have to employ any one again it will be someone I do not know which will make it a lot easier to complain when things go wrong.
  • I will always insist on an estimate for the job NOT an hourly rate. 
  • At the first sign of something not being quite right I will say so. 
  • The one thing I should have done with this guy right at the start,  was to tell him that he needed to make my house a priority and not try to fit in my work in the evenings, in the dark, without any one to help with the heavy bits. 
  • He should have made sure he had every thing he needed to the job, including dust covers for my other kitchen appliances and the floors, pens pencils, note pads, buckets, brooms, brushes, measuring tapes, and all the other things he has ‘borrowed’. Pencils get lost and brooms brushes etc end coated in plaster and unfit to use indoors
     From now on business will be business…… what a shame cos I would rather be friends with people but now I see that is not always a good idea. In this particular case it’s even more difficult cos the guy I employed seems quite a nice friendly chap. He is really a rather nice person, he is pleasant, honest and works hard to support his young family. He has taken on far more than he can cope with but all with the very best of intentions and all in order to support his family without hand outs from the state.


     OH BIG SIGH……Isn’t life difficult sometimes?? And I still feel sick with anxiety about it all.


17 comments:

  1. My hubby does this stuff for a living and, boy, is your guy an idiot! He's also probably soaking you for some extra cash on that hourly wage. Have your 'chap' beat the other guy up or something. lol There's really no need for such shoddiness in work or for damaging your things. When you get the bill make sure you double check everything and meanwhile, check to see if you have any recourse for damages and such. Here in the US we have the Better Business Bureau and the Labor Dept to call on for such things.

    Having a kitchen redone is stressful enough without this sort of crap making you more upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think the C.A.B. and the council need to be spoken to - and if the damage isnt repaired, advise the 2nd chap that his bill will be reduced accordingly.
    Maybe get a male friend/relative to have a word with him? :)
    Much good luck and many huge hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you are moving ahead-try not to think of the bill till it comes and like you said we learn don't we.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loretta, this is a nightmare, make sure they replace all that is damaged Before you pay any bills. Do not accept what is not right. and I have never heard of someone not working for the customer. this is your kitchen, these guys are working for You.
    If they do not want to replace what they have damaged tell them you are not paying til they do, does your country have a watchdog for business that you can report them too.
    good luck to you, this should have been a wonderful experience for you-hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awful about the damage, I feel so bad for you. What do you think of this...if he charges you an outrageous bill then you might say, 'well, what about the damage to this and that...?' Only this week I had to be assertive with someone in a position of authority in a medical situation. That was hard, but I stuck to my guns (I was raised to believe my my mother who comes from another generation's thinking that doctors were 'infallible', but I have since learned otherwise!) Actually this week has been quite the experience for me too. I find that assertiveness takes effort, sometimes more than one wants to expend, and it can be a battle but sometimes one just has to do it anyway. Just hold that thought 'this too shall pass'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very solid thinking, I refuse to hire anyone who only works for an hourly rate.

    When my kitchen was renovated, the contractor wouldn't work until everything was removed. For the new large appliances, he had me change the delivery date until his work was completed. Then he was there when they were delivered and had the men carry the units into the kitchen and not drag them across the new floor. I now empty a room or cover things myself before any work gets done.

    I fully understand your anxiety, but as you are seeing, it is the same trip to completion, with or without anxiety.

    I strongly advise replacing that plastic pipe instead of taping it. Tape is a temporary patch, not a repair. Plastic pipe, once split, could further split above the tape line sometime in the future and you don't know it until you have a costly leak.

    Hugs, F.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HUGS, i sure do hope things will work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so true what frank says happened to me when they fixed a leek but didin't replace it just taped it and a couple of rears later water water every where-

    ReplyDelete
  9. your new appliances look awesome.... and I am glad for you that the tiles will be the way you want them... but the rest of your nightmare just doesn't seem to end.... there are good lesson learned, and I guess that always happens.... anything that was damaged by workers should come out of their pocket.... I'd be pretty firm about that... and I doubt I would give any references for these guys....

    I had a painter [wallpaper stripper] who worked pretty cheap, but left messes and borrowed things too... I knew how he was going into the deal and the labor he performed was worth it to me, even if I had to 'fix' up behind him... but you were not expecting that... now I am doubly sure I don't want to fix up anything anymore... next time I want NEW or I live with the old... - hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys...........tis really nice to have your support, the tiler has finished so I won't have to have him in my house again, thank heavens for that. The original guy has a couple of bits left to do, he needs to put the sealer around the sink, put the extraction fan back in the wall and finish off connecting the waste pipes under the sink. Not sure when he will be back but I have made up my mind that when he bills me I will just say the bank needs a couple of days notice for me to access funds. This will give me a breathing space and let me think about his charges and what I think I should pay him. My friends partner is in the building trade and she said he could come and have a look at every thing when it is finished and to be here when I pay the guy and point out every thing wrong. Hope he agrees..
    Maybe I will feel better after the weekend but right now I am feeling quite depressed and overwhelmed by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I would definitely deduct for the damage these clowns have done. Here in the states we might have to take it to court, but eventually we would get a fair deal. I do hope you have something like that there?
    Glad to hear you have the water hooked back up, so you can at least get a shower now. LOL
    Your kitchen is going to be awesome when it is finished!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor you, Loretta. Anybody who's reading your blogs will certainly gather a lot of information. How true the saying about familiarity breeding contempt is! I know there's something to cover scratches on ceramic cookers, but at the moment I can't think what it is. When I do, I'll let you know. I'll bet you're right about the tiler cutting the tiles inside. In my opinion, he gives others in his profession a bad name. Anyway, as Diana says,your kitchen is going to be a nice place to be when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are on the right track.

    I am still sending positive energy to you and the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the look of things it seems your kitchen will be very nice, I hope you like it. As for the damage -- it's up to the workers to pay for or repair. Your plan for a breather and back up sounds great /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your kitchen will look quite nice I think, but oh! at what a price. I am thinking just of the anxiety, not the money. I think your resolutions are good. The one thing I learned, having an older house that frequently must be worked on, is to agree to an estimate of the cost and then a contract spelling out exactly what is to be done, whose responsibility is the clean-up, and what is the arrangement for "cost overrruns". But even with these contracts, we, and people we know, have been through similar nightmares with remodeling. I won't even start to go into car repair projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just had a memory of something I learned when I did an applied arts course in interior decoration. There's a tradesman's ethic called 'making good' which entails the completion of all work with the cleaning up after the actual work - which in itself is part of the work and thus included in the whole commission. I'm not sure if you said that this guy was a registered tradesman. If so, and you are not satisfied, you could take that dissatisfaction to his guild.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Siiiiiiiiigh
    What a headache.... Sorry for all your troubles.
    Peace & ((S))), Eddie

    ReplyDelete