Saturday 26 May 2012

Song Saturday; Joceyln Pook

I had every intention of finishing off my painting, and then I became engrossed in The Merchant of Venice’ on TV, I’ve never actually seen the whole thing from start to finish before. Makes you realize what a wonderful story teller the old Bard was, the judgment scene is brilliant, I was totally drawn in believing that the poor old merchant really was going to end up looking like something from the butches shop. I was hooked, just couldn’t walk away until the credits and the music………….and that when I discovered the music was pretty damn good too. What a haunting song, written for the film by composer Joceyln Pook who, ( I’ve just found out) also wrote  ‘The masked Ball’ in the film ‘Eyes Wide Shut’
And now I really am going to finish my painting, back later







5 comments:

  1. I do like her work, which seems to be limited to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her work too Frank, I remember noticing the music in 'Eyes Wide Shut' but I didn't bother to find out any thing about it then. I only realised today, when looking on YouTube for the songs from 'The Merchant of Venice' that i realised it was the same composer. If you are interested, there are quite a few videos of her work on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a name I'm familiar with, but going by these two vids she composes 'period' music very well. There were a couple of moments in the first one, though, where to vocal started to remind me of the song over the closing credits of 'Blackadder 2'.

    ReplyDelete