Monday 21 July 2008

Salt, Vinager and Bicarbonate of Soda

I have already written about my little book ‘Green Clean, eco-friendly cleaning for the home’; and it’s such a useful little book I’m going to take lots more bits and pieces from it and copy out for every one. But, I have found these other three little books fascinating and extremely useful. Books about common natural products found in every home, salt, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. Most cleaning problems around the home could be tackled using these three natural ingredients and almost nothing else. They are an absolute must have in any eco-friendly cleaning box. As well as being invaluable for cleaning they have other household uses………………for example

A Bath Time Treat… (Bicarbonate of Soda)

4 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch ground ginger

Pinch ground cloves

This preservative free bath soak can be kept for some time, when ready to use just sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of the mixture under hot running water and lay back and relax…mmmm

Stimulating Facial Scrub (Salt)

Mix equal parts of Salt and virgin olive oil

Gently massage in long upward strokes

Remove with water and pure oil soap.

The Perfect Manicure ( vinegar)

Nail polish goes on smoother

 and stays on longer if  the fingernails

are cleaned with white vinegar first.

ALSO…. If you have been painting or doing plaster work, after washing, rinse your hands well in a solution of 50% water and 59% white vinegar. This restores the natural Ph balance of the skin.

 

and this is more eco-friendly tips I posted last week

 

http://forgetmenot525.multiply.com/journal/item/67/Eco-Friendly_Cleaning

 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I'll be doing some plastering and painting whenever I can convince myself to do it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of white vinegar is used around here for cleaning. In the Winter, when the windows have been closed for months and the air starts to get stale, I place a large bowl of white vinegar in the center of the room and it freshens the air - once the vinegar smell fades. :-}

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT ! GOOD THINGS TO KNOW...GOING TO CHECK TO SEE IF I NEED TO BUY VINEGAR, BRB

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing, I am ernest now-with my homemade cleaners and laundry soaps and such for a cleaner me and our planet-thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Loretta!
    I use vinegar to clean windows and mirrors, but some of these new "recipes" are fascinating!

    Thank you, I shall be putting them all on my shopping list :))

    ReplyDelete