Friday 11 July 2008

William McTaggart 1835 - 1910, seascapes




For me it is his seascapes that are so wonderful. I live next to the North East cost of Scotland. I walk these beaches almost every day. I know the light here, that soft hazy light of a summer day. I know the long summer days where it barley get dark. I know how the Hare (Scottish word for sea mist) swirls in from no where and then swirl away again, changing the light as it goes. I recognise the dark green/grey crashing seas and I hear the screeching gulls echoing above the howling winds and stormy seas. When I look at this mans seascapes I know they can’t be any where in the world except here. That is why he is maybe my favourite Scottish Painter of all time, because his portrayal is so accurate. I just wish I could have found better and bigger pictures of his work to show you.

3 comments:

  1. oh i love sea scapes love the sea and water period nice all of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the pictures remind me of the shore of Lake Superior where we go on holiday (vacation). The majesty and restlessness of the sea is there in his pictures and is magnificent. I would be so happy to be able to live by the sea and walk there everyday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool paintings, I like this one.

    ReplyDelete