Wednesday 29 April 2009

SCHOOL FRUIT AND VEG IN 1976


SCHOOL FRUIT AND VEG  IN 1976




I have come to the conclusion I am a very ‘image’ orientated person and losing the use of my camera has been a bit like losing the use of a limb, or more accurately like losing one of the senses. BUT…. Sitting here, looking in sadness at my camera my eyes drifted toward my scanner…hmmmmm images I thought.

Then I remembered this little book. I have been meaning to share bits of this book for ages. I came across the book by accident, it was in a huge box of paper intended for recycling that had been sent down from the HE department (home economics) and I was sorting through it to make sure it was all suitable for recycling. Buried at the bottom of the box were this and two other similar books. They were obviously used by the HE department in pre-computer/ internet times to introduce the pupils to the benefits of good eating. I couldn’t bring myself to throw them away, I think they are delightful, simple, beautifully illustrated books from a time that seems like yesterday but was in fact over 30 years ago. So… not being in a position to go out and take pictures, I thought I would scan the book and share it with you.














OH I remembner books like this, school's just not the same any more. These pictures can all be enlarged by clicking and they are big enough to actually read the text.  

10 comments:

  1. Sooo interesting!!!! I know what you mean by losing your camera is like losing a limb. When Tom's mom was sick he was able to get her a very simple digital camera rather cheaply. About 13-14 Pounds/$20. Not bad pix. This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations. I hope they are continuing to teach children about vegetables in such a beautiful way. One of my friends actually started a garden because her grandchildren were showing her the baby plants they had planted in school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bennett.............part of the problem with the camera is that I was lucky enough to have a pretty good one ( fujifilm S5000) and I'm a bit worried about being very frustrated with a cheap one, I do intend to take it into a shop and see if there is any thing that can be done though.
    Aas for the teaching ?? I really don't know but I have a feeling that this very basic stuff isn't taught any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very nice illustrations, they actually look to be older than 30 years. They look a lot like the ones that we used in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was knobbly root I didn't recognize so I got the larger image--it must be a Jerusalem artichoke. They are supposed to be invasive, but mice ate them in our garden and they disappeared.

    Lovely book. I agree, 1976 was like yesterday. Sometimes people still mention the heat wave that occurred that year. They had to cut branches off the trees for their cattle to eat the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, Loretta, and hopefully by scanning your little book it will continue to live. As for your camera, I hope you can get it repaired. I don't have a really good camera, but then I'm not a good photographer even though sometimes I see good pictures and my camera doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scanners are wonderful for getting old things into your computer so you can use them. I use mine quite often to scan old film pictures. I hope you get a useable camera soon. The withdrawal must be terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a grand walk down memory lane! ; D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty cool idea.
    Nice children's book too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The illustrations are well done. Nice to hang onto books that have a content that are from decades past. I like old cookbooks and I have a small collection of them from days gone by.
    The one you have here looks like a very useful educational tool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks folks, have just had another look at this little book and seems you are right. it was first printed in 1967, the 1976 is the date of the reprint. so looks like its over 40 years old not 30. No wonder it looks so familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete