Saturday 14 November 2009

Song saturday; from the 18th century

Song Saturday; From the 18th Century

A performance of Anthony L'Abbé's solo Passacaille to music by Jean-Baptiste Lully from the tragédie en musique "Armide".(photo above is a statue of Lully)

This solo choreography was published in Beauchamp-Feuillet dance notation in 1711 by Edmund Pemberton, and was adapted from an earlier (c.1706) Passacaille for two women that is also extant in notation. Here it has been reconstructed by Philippa Waite with reference to dancing manuals from the first half of the 18th century.




5 comments:

  1. how very sublime! what a sensuous journey back in time. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly elegant - you know I see so many pictures those of my own and then of others and it's the history behind them really makes me think of what was going on when they were first built and it brings me to this. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't be able to listen to this till I get my main puter up and running again.

    ReplyDelete