Saturday 7 May 2011

Art Sunday; Townscapes by Mitzie Green





TOWNSCAPES BY MITZIE GREEN

I spent today in Dundee having lunch with an old friend; It rained. It’s been raining for the last three days. We sat in the café and looked out at the wet streets. I noticed the reflections of people in the growing puddles  and the way the rain made the colours look so much brighter. I think most people know I’m a country lover, but today the town looked pretty good. Which is why I decided to look for townscape paintings, and this is what I found. I love the way this woman uses colour, it reminds me of the wet streets.

These are just a few of the works found on her website, other categories include, flowers, abstracts and landscapes.


ALL INFORMATION AND IMAGES

FROM HER OWN WEBSITE

http://www.mitziegreen.co.uk/

THIS IS WHAT SHE WRITES ABOUT HERSELF


''I have a strong bias towards tactile effects and a sensuous expression where visual dynamics and structure are being explored. Some of my watercolours are painted with a surfeit of water. At other times I prepare my paper in an unusual way using a “half ground” which makes a unique surface to work on. It is highly textured, absorbent and unpredictable and it enables me to follow my feelings and paint from memory rather than dictating what I am going to paint. The results are some very subtle passages of rock face, shapes and geological forms. This instinctive approach gives my work a feeling of a visual experience.
For my acrylic work I prepare a background from different types of paper to give me a messy surface to work against. From this mess I establish order and meaning. My subject matter is architecture, buildings, townscapes and flowers using vibrant colours.
In this I am influenced by the Fauves and Expressionists like Kandinsky and Nolde

Recently I have concentrated on townscapes. The jigsaw pattern of a town has always fascinated me. I am a neat and tidy person and rather than fighting this, I felt I might as well make use of it and therefore began to look at towns and architecture with renewed interest. I pay particular attention to the horizon line of buildings with their strong verticals, horizontals, diagonals and trapeze shapes.


Figures bring a scene to life and add an exciting element to the composition. I draw them with pieces of card and this gives them a spontaneous and playful appearance. They add a sense of a fleeting moment which contrasts with the permanence of the buildings.''

 

9 comments:

  1. Woooo wonderfu paintings thanks to share. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pictures. Her style does not appeal to me, but thanks to her commentary, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all styles and techniques, but a strong preference for bodies and faces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect that this is what immediately draws me to her work. It reminds me somewhat of Bernard Buffet in style. I do like her use of color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THESE ARE WONDERFUL LORETTA :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you asking me once about a picture of people walking in the rain in which the colours were reflected by street lights and shadows. I think it was painted by a young Russian woman, but can't remember her name or where I found the picture. Some of these paintings reminds me of that. I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved these paintings-thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved the color

    isn't it interesting how art gets us to notice things

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've also had opportunity to look at a cityscape and see images warped by rain and grey light. In grey light, things like coloured umbrellas and red clothing do look brighter.

    This one's yet artist with a fabulous creative use of colour; very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete