Monday 4 January 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010

New Year 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERY ONE

It’s been so long I hardly know where to start. I signed off here for what I intended to be a couple of weeks  back in the middle of November, now here we are already into the New year. This is a pair of small portraits I had for sale in the craft fair.

The Art exhibition I entered returned both of my works, without hanging either of them, with a short explanatory note saying that this year the exhibition was open to the whole of Scotland for both professional and amateur artists. Apparently the criteria for entry changed this year which led to the exhibition being vastly over subscribed, seems for the first time they rejected virtually one out of every three entries. So guess I’ll just chalk that one up to experience and try again next year. The exhibition itself was interesting though and showed me the standard expected so it wasn’t entirely a wasted effort, it was very valuable experience.

Afraid I didn’t do that much better on my craft fair stall either, not a lot was selling that day.  I often go to these craft fairs, they are held in the local community centre, usually in the run up to Christmas, and usually the stalls are hired in aid of different charities. It’s a good place to buy home-made and original Christmas presents. This year was a bit of an eye opener. I have to say; the recession had gone largely unnoticed by me. My job is pretty low paid but I do have a permanent contract AND job security. This, for me, meant life continued to be as difficult, but manageable as it always was. BUT…………..The craft fair was an eye opener, whereas in other years these places have been throbbing with Christmas shoppers and people left laden with bags bulging with goodies, this year there were far fewer people and many of the stalls (including mine) struggled to sell any thing at all. Another one to chalk up to experience, the recession is real and it’s affecting ordinary people in ordinary situations. This is just one of the bags that remained unsold at the end of the day.

And then there was the ‘’Green Flag’’ experience, I’ve already written about that so I’ll not bore you with the details again. I’ll just say that since then our eco group with in the school has been more high profile and more appreciated than ever before. More people want to join our group and more people are willing to recycle more stuff and generally be more aware of environmental issues. (Altogether is moorish experience) We seemed to get quite a lot of press coverage too which was nice.

Once all that was out of the way, work became very, very hectic with all the normal ‘end of term’ demands PLUS the kids did a Christmas Pantomime for the first time. That was great fun; they did so well I think a Pantomime will be expected every Christmas. Any one who has ever worked in a school will understand how hectic end of term is.

And of course there is the ‘’big freeze’’ to contend with. I have lived in Scotland for twenty years and can honestly say I have never known a winter like this. I can’t remember the last time the temperature rose above freezing.
I have been out side on a daily basis checking my fish pond. I think I have lost most of the fish I put in last summer. I know the guy in the pet shop said they would be OK outside, even OK if the pond froze, but no one expected a freeze like this. At one point I could see the fish swimming sluggishly under the ice, they looked as if they were trying to get to the surface but there was no where left for them to get through. I was taking the ice off the top every day and then the ice became so thick it was very difficult. In the end I had to force the huge sheet of ice away from the top because the ice had taken hold of all the plants, the plants froze and the ice seemed to travel through the water, through the plants, into the baskets of earth and extend all the way down to the bottom of the pond. The pond was in real danger of freezing solid. When I finally forced the ice sheet away from the water it was eight inched deep in places had covered all the plants and the baskets they were planted in.
The ice came away with the plants which left the pond half empty, this meant I had to spend more time in the freezing weather carrying buckets of water out to re-fill the pond. Think next year I’ll go for frogs not fish, at least frogs have the good sense to leave the water and live in the ground over winter.  

The shops all sold out of salt because so many people used it on the ice. The bins full of gravel that are provided by the council were always running out.
My driveway was like a skating rink and very dangerous. Fortunately I remembered I had some builders sand left from last year. It took me a while to get the shed door open because the locks had frozen solid but once I managed to unlock the door I had plenty of sand and the grandchildren seemed to enjoy throwing sand all over the place.
Funny how kids have the capacity to actually enjoy what to adults is just another chore to get through. I think most of my lavender will be dead next year, this is just to cold for it to survive outside.
But for some weird reason the parsley is thriving!!! I wonder..........is this some rare form of Arctic parsley??

We did manage to get out a couple of times over Christmas to walk the dogs but even that became difficult because the ground was frozen. We have not had nearly as much snow as other places have but we have had very low tempratures and freezing conditions for what seems like months. 

The dogs ( and kids) were skating  around a field of ice. It was cold, quite dangerous in places but oh was it pretty??...........yes ....very, very pretty.

Christmas itself was good, I had one daughter and her two children here on Christmas day for their Christmas dinner.

On Boxing Day I had all three daughters, and their partners, and their children, and their dogs……………all in my rather small apartment………….great fun though.

New Year was spent over on the West coast in Ayr (I live on the East coast) with my youngest daughter and her family. It was a quiet but very nice family  New Year. From the coast of Ayr you can look out onto the islands of Bute and the Mull of Kintyre which is hopefully where I’ll be heading in better weather next summer.

And that kinda brings me up to now, I came back from Ayr yesterday and intend to spend what is left of today and tomorrow packing away the Christmas decorations, throwing out all the rubbish, having a bit of a spring clean and preparing for work again on Wednesday. Yep…………….Wednesday is the first day of term, time to start all over again.

New Year resolutions?? I have a few …………..the obligatory ‘’ I must lose weight and take more exercise’’, but also things like try to stop collecting rubbish, live a more minimalist life ‘cos all this stuff that seems to accumulate from no where just clutters up my house and my life. I find it very difficult to throw things away, partly because I’m so aware of the land fill problem so If I can’t recycle or reuse or re-home……….it tends to clutter up my house which isn’t really a good thing. In which case; I am going to try to accumulate less in the first place.

Also of course, over the next couple of days, in between packing away the tree, throwing out the clutter, de-icing the pond, spring cleaning the house and preparing for work on Wednesday, I’ll get round to as many of you; my much missed and sadly neglected friends as possible.
For those of you who who I haven’t visited in a while
I SEND ………………… VERY, VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR WISHES AND MANY THANKS FOR ALL YOUR GOOD WISHES OVER THE HOLIDAY PERIOD.



19 comments:

  1. A wonderful wonderful blog lorretta and a wonderful NEW YEAR to you to-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!

    Lovely photos, especially the seaside ones.

    Sorry about the lack of sales. I have shown some paintings but none have sold.

    I went to pick a leaf or two of parsley in our garden and the whole crown came away--something had eaten the root. It is cold here also, but not for days on end, just the last couple days. The doors to the greenhouse were frozen shut.

    Nice to have you back here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh dear......................Mo I see you....................sorry, I've not forgotton I promis...........happy New Year every one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you..............its very nice to be back and Happy New year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol..... great blog of catching us up to speed! I was thinking of you last night, and intended to check up on you this morning [as I am doing now]..... the arctic freeze sounds dreadful..... seems there is a tremendous cold in the US at the moment also.... my mother always had parsley growing outside, it seemed to survive every year and in a cold climate.... back in Michigan, my sage, parsley, oregano, and mint also made it through the ice storms, blizzards and cold months.....

    am still looking forward to your traveling story when you have time.... sounds like life has been keeping you busy.... and that is a wonderful testament for the new year! Happiness and good health to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back and wishing you and the family a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your blog update-Happy New Year to you as well, we are having very very bitter temps here as well, not normal for this area of the country-but what can ya do-I need to replenish the wood pile up near the house today-so will be be bundling up and tackling the job. I wonder if you could put a little pump or aerator in your pond-that would help your fish-we have one going all the time for one of our ponds-we have catfish in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LORETTA! OMG....just yesterday, i was thinking that i was going to post in your guest book.....and then L needed the computer and i forgot, LOL. it's great to hear from you; a wonderful pictoral and update. welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you again Loretta. I guess the cold weather is pretty widespread. We are having the most snow and coldest temperatures in years.(And the forecasters said, "If you think this is bad YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET!") Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pleased you have had such a lovely break!
    And SO thrilled with a card!! Thank you SO much, you are very thoughtful :)))
    The new ducks (you'll have to dig out the posts and photos on them!!) are thriving and I too have been battling with the pond to keep at least part of it ice free for them to have a bathe and swim!
    Such a shame about the fish.... but it has been *bitterly* cold and icy... my village missed out on snow but it is a here on the hills, just have to travel up a mile or so to reach it, but the roads and yard and rive are covered in ice! It is not as though you can bring fish in as you can with some plants!
    I love your slippers.. I had some very similar to that and boy do we need them this winter!!!
    Welcome home and stay warm!
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you back on here, Loretta. You missed the worst part of multiply's big move, so I hope you don't have any missing photos on your page as some people still seem to have. I don't know if this would have helped your 'pond' from freezing, but couldn't you have put a tarpaulin, old blanket or something over it? I desperately need to de-clutter too. I've been going through some Christmas cards to give to a friend to re-cycle - that's something. LOL. So sorry you didn't do well at your fair. I got some lovely presents at the fair that I went to, which was a group that I used to belong to. Like yours, sales were really down this year. What a pity because everything is handmade. Nothing more to add except welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a lovely blog loretta, so nice to read,
    i hear it is bad up there not so good down here in the south been below freezin for a week now, our village rds haven't been gritted but travel is just about ok.....in the summer they said there would be a problem with salt and the councils were buying in table salt. then.

    ive run out of heating oil as the tankers have such a backlog and wont be able to fill my tank up untill thursday.....so i have my greenhouse heaters running in the house.

    who knows what the weather will bring long term but it aint looking any better in the near future...hang in there..happy new year ;:~}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the update. Your paintings and crafts look lovely.


    On the clutter and recycling
    I like FREECYCLE It lets others get some use out of your stuff and keeps it out of landfills

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice blog and a very happy New Years to you as well. These are some great pictures. Gosh I need my glasses these days to read the writes!

    Some day I shall make it over to that side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloody cold here too.......
    Happy New Year anyway.............((((shiver)))).....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pictures of the cold sea. I am glad you had a good holiday season with your daughters. I had the same experience with a craft fair; went to one in December and few people were there and the vendors had marked down their goods. I bought as much as I could. I brought bags and bags of good work clothes to Goodwill - a place that sells or gives them away. And my closets are still packed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A delightful blog to bring in the new year /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the update, Dear Friend. So glad you've enjoyed your time away from here. The pictures are lovely and the puppies are just adorable. HUGS and hopes of seeing you again soon.

    ReplyDelete