Tuesday 12 January 2010

QUICK NOT TO EVERY ONE WHO READ MY LAST BLOG............I think I have found a fish still alive in my pond. This is so strange, last year I put in two very ordinary, common and cheap goldfish, one died immediatly and one made itself at home at the bottom of the pond. Then I bought two baby Blue Orfe,very pretty silver fish, a few weeks later I bought two bigger silver fish. Over the summer they hid them selves well and I wasn't sure how many of them were alive. I thought I had lost them all in the ice over these last few weeks but.....................seems the gold fish is still alive !!! I really can't believe it, but I removed 4 silver bodies and I'm sure I saw the gold fish alive at the bottom. I do hope so...............feel a bit better about the 'pond' if that fish really is alive.

18 comments:

  1. oh, i hope the fish made it! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know about your fish ,. but people freeze bait and thaw it and they swim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you bring it in, do it slowly and gradually. Go!! little fishy, go!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG.................ugh !!
    one of the problems is that although I've kept a tank of tropical fish for years...............this is the first time I've had fish outside, and it just happens to also be the coldest winter for about 50 years. My inexperience AND the extreme weather are just a really bad coincidence..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bennett..............but its more a case of if it survives, I can't catch it, wouldn't want to disturb it, think its been traumatised enough, and even if I did catch it...........no where indoors for me to keep it. So........yeah lets all cheer on the little fishy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bog standard carp are the hardiest gold fish....the cat ate all my fish and my pond is a wildlife wetland now lol....the deeper the pond the more chance there are of fishes surviving hard winters....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if the haddock pieces in my freezer would come back to life in your pond, Loretta? That would be amazing. Scary, as they no longer have heads or intestines, but amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently goldfish that hide at the bottom of a pond are a little koi........(couldn't resist that one, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay fish! hope they're just hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL!

    Just happened by, and how wonderful, I hope the little goldfish is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. keeping my fingers crossed for you -

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you have a survivor Loretta. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  13. the problem isn't so much the cold it will be lack of oxygen
    if you had a tank aerator to put in to keep oxygen it could survive the winter

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems goldfish are a hardy breed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that would be so great. Let's hope he is ok.

    ReplyDelete