Saturday 4 September 2010

Song Saturday; Ravi Shankar

This week, I felt like something a little different. He always makes me remember an eccentric aunt and uncle of mine, both now long dead. When we were children back in the 50's one of my uncles played the  sitar, when we visited, the strange instrument sitting in the corner of the living room was a source of wonder. One day he announced that he, his wife and their four children were all going to become vegetarians, and from that day onwards they were. A few years later, he announced that the entire family were going to move out of English suburbia and live in a remote part of the welsh Hills, which they did. After that I didn't get to see them very much, but the sitar forever reminds me of them.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. p.s........i enjoyed hearing about your eccentric uncle and family. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a wonderful musician. I've loved the combined sound of the Sitar and Tabla for many many years, and Ravi is undoubtedly the greatest exponent of this music. I was going to say he is the 'Ritchie Blackmore' of the Sitar. But maybe Ritchie is the "Ravi Shankar" of the guitar!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have always enjoyed Indian instrumental music, song, and dance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! A trip too far back in time. I was recently telling the children about the days of people wearing beads and flowers and shapeless clothing. Memories of the 60's, the way we were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a man who knows what he wants

    a great instrument in the hands of a master

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. intelligent folks accept the music and accept the differences of culture, race and religion... this man was among the early pioneers to come into my enlightened life. thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Frank I seem to be doing a lot of that recently...............:-)

    ReplyDelete