Thursday 12 July 2012

Decorating; Another room finished

It’s finished, I’ve been working non stop and finally, late this evening, my new studio/ guest room was finished.  There are a couple of little things I need to get help with, the curtain pole needs screwing back onto the wall properly and the new ventilation grill above the door needs to be screwed into place. Apart from that…………..it’s complete.

Mr and Mrs Scarecrow stand on top of the shelf unit guarding the spider plants. They were a lucky find in the pound store, they cost just £1.00 each and are intended as garden ornaments, but I rather like them looking down on me.

Another lucky find were these curtains, they are heavy linen with tab tops and tie backs and bought from the Heart Foundation charity shop for just £10.00. The embroidered edge runs from top to bottom of the curtain.

It’s quite a big room which is why it can double up as a guest room and a studio for me to paint in.  The wallpaper, another find in the pound store, is beige with a hint of peach. It has a grain effect and a slight sheen which looks quite pretty once hung on the wall. For £1.00 per roll it’s not bad. I wanted a plain paper because I intend to hang some of my paintings on the wall and as you can see, there is plenty of empty wall for me to start filling.

I bought the patchwork quilt from a charity shop a while ago and thought it went well with the rest of the room. It a beautiful quilt, very large when not folded back and well worth the £15.00 I paid for it.

This big old built in cupboard used to have a door but I had the door taken off and bought this bead curtain to use instead. The cupboard tends to get very damp with lots of condensation especially in the winter and I thought taking the door off and letting the air circulate would help get rid of the damp problem.

And these are my aloe vera plants lined up in the window. I’m thinking of buying one very large pot and planting them all together, I thought it would be a bit of a centrepiece.

Moving round the room here is the linen covered shelf unit and behind that, my work table. I love those chairs. I rescued them from being thrown out. They are old fashioned school chairs used by the teacher in times gone by, they were destined for the tip before I intervened and bought them home.  The rather exotic orange animal print table covers are made from wipe clean material bought for £3.99 per metre. 1 ½ metres was enough for my work table and the low TV/ DVD table.

And some of the paintings I’m going to hang on the wall.

And that’s my decorating for a while. I’m going to spend a couple of days catching up in the garden and then my daughter is staying for the weekend because it’s her birthday. Once she leaves, I’ll take a few days, maybe a week to potter about in my garden, and then its onto the hallway……….but that will be a quick and easy piece of decorating compared to what I've just done.





21 comments:

  1. well...............it is a guest room, :-))
    and guests are 'invited'.....................

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to visit your beautiful countryside

    and of course you

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your aloe plants and your spider plants. It is really nice to give yourself a change. The room looks awesome and a great place to work or rest.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best spread is gorgeous and I love your art work that you intend to put on the wall. The new look gives the room a bright and calming place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done. It all came together quite well. The choice color for the wallpaper is excellent, the softness of peach reflects the sun and warms a room. We had a color at one time named 'Sand', a light beige with a hint of pink and it reflected the sun during the day and softened the beige in artificial light. I'm assuming they meant tropical sand. :-}

    What appears to be a simple color can make all the difference in the atmosphere of a room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job Loretta, you shop for items the way I do-at the resale shops-looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow loretta you have done a wonderfiul job on this room but also on the other things you renovated

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome room! I love the linen curtains but the whole room
    is so nice. I have the same easel!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good work, it's looking great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented! Can't wait to see some of you rpictures on the wall

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice! Bright and cheerful, you are a marvel /:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! what a beautiful and very creative space! i love it, Loretta! whenever Nemo goes to visit you, maybe i'll tag along. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds great..............will book you all for in next year when I retire............. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. there is plenty of countryside here to admire, and honeybee would be right at home, lots and lots of her little buzzy stripy friends here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. actually I think that describes the paper perfectly, can't believe I found just the right paper in a dirt cheap discount store. And yes..........it reflects the sun beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's me Kathy, recycler, resale hunter , make do and mend..................its all so much a way of life I think I would live like this even if I suddenly became rich.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You win the coveted War On Shopping award for creative recycling and imaginative decorating Loretta. The room is looking great and I really envy you those Scarecrows, they are great and what a bargain they were too!
    The artwork is looking good, you have made yourself an excellent den (doubling as a guest room where needs must of course)....that's cool, its good to have a den/guest room.. its a credit to you as is your garden of course. Nice one Loretta :-)

    How satisfying it all must be, its all looking very cosy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why thanks, I;m honoured :-))
    As I said to Kathy, minimalist shopping is a way of life for me and if I won the lotto tomorrow I don't think that would change. Its not always about what you can and can't afford.............its about really hating needless waste and wanting to distance myself from the consumer society. Generally speaking, my furniture is second hand, my clothes, curtains and even bedding come from charity shops and I try not to throw things away. My daughters think I'm eccentric, they think my garden looks untidy and too cluttered and they worry that I'm going to become one of those awful 'horders' that you see on TV, but they don't understand, they love to shop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I bought them in Poundland, or it could have been Home Bargains', they probably have them where you are.

    ReplyDelete