Thursday 5 August 2010

Dean Castle




This is one of the places I visited while staying with Jackie.
Information about the castles history from here.
http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/comser/tourism/places_dean_castle.asp

Dean Castle, and the Country Park around it lies to the north of Kilmarnock.The oldest part of the castle is the square Keep which was built around 1350 by the Boyd family. In 1316, the Boyds had been given the estate of Kilmarnock by Robert I (the Bruce) as a reward for their support for him during the War of Independence and at the Battle of Bannockburn against Edward II in 1314.The Palace, was added about 1468 when the influence of the Boyd family was at its strongest. It was built as Lord Boyd's private apartments and was designed for comfort and defence, In 1735 the Place was seriously damaged by fire and lay in ruins for the next 200 years. In 1749 the Boyd family sold the castle and the estate and since then the whole estate has seen many transient owners.
When the 8th Lord Howard de Walden inherited the castle he began its restoration; the keep was completed in 1908 and as soon as the keep was complete the Lord began collecting the arms, armour and tapestries seen there today. Restoration was completed in 1946, and in 1975 the castle, collections and estate were gifted to Kilmarnock by the 9th Lord Howard de Walden. There is now a Visitor Centre, Country Park and tea rooms. The Rare Breeds Centre has exhibitions relating to some of the animals kept here, and the Children's Corner and Riding Centre let the visitor get closer to the animals.

28 comments:

  1. WOW! and that is quite complimentary, of course. what a charming photo synopsis of your visit to this place. thanks, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating. I love seeing the pictures of old castles that my friends post on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever look at something like this and wonder how many more hundreds of years it will stand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my destiny to live in a castle like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. an interesting question, but i always tend to wonder about all the time that has passed since its creation....and i imagine the LifeForces who made it what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Castles are really cool. We have a castle here in Toronto. It is call Casaloma castle. Sir Henry Mill Pellatt well known financier. The castle was built between 1911 aand 1914 by a noted architect, E.J. Lennox. Three men were employed and it cost around one and a half million dollars. Which by the standards of the day that was very expensive.
    Sir Henry's life long love of the Medieval castles of Europe culminated in a castle constructed with the most pleasing elements of Norman,Gothic, and Romanesque styles of castles.
    It is situated at the top of a hill overlooking Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly well manicured grounds, just lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this a part of 'the dean'?

    ReplyDelete
  9. i wonder how much the heating bill is

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This simply has to be my favourite photograph. I agree with Deb...& I believe if I were to to touch its walls I would feel them.
    I have a matate that's centuries & centuries old. I don't know the name of the thing held to grind on it, but when I touch either one, I feel an energy flow. How many thousands of hands in so many different periods of time....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nemo, I'll bet they don't need A/C!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bennett, I believe I once did!
    Vero, so do I. What a shame the US hasn't anything old enough for me to care a twit about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hee hee...that would keep the buggers out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What was the purpose of this thingie? It doesn't look like it belongs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your daughter Jacky, true? Couldn't take Abbey along! (Did I spell those right...)
    She's really petite!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd probably have done the same thing, & I'm 37 years old!!
    He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete