Tuesday 24 August 2010

Dolphins out at sea.... wish I had a better camera




While walking along the cliff tops,

 I could hear the dolphins.


The sound of dolphins hitting the water is very distinctive, its a sound that travels over the water for miles and sometimes, when the dolphins are playing a long way out, you hear them before you see them.

Anyway.............my camera is not particularly powerful; and the dolphins were a long way off, there were about six of them in the pod and they kept pairing up and then separating.

They are fast, they can dive and resurface out of view. I sat on the cliff top watching them and lost track of time.

All of this means  my efforts to photograph them was pretty abysmal but this is the result...........not very impressive as photographs, you'll need to click and enlarge to see anything, but a wonderful way to spend an hour or so. 

10 comments:

  1. A temendous way and very worthwhile in looking at if I may say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swam with them in Hawaii..I could hear them underwater before I seen them.., it was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We see many dolphins in Florida, but they are so difficult to photograph. I think you did a marvelous job. Sometimes, I am told, they slap the water to herd fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a good job. Truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that it's a wonderful way to spend time, and I can tell those are dolphins in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the privilige of seeing and hearing them would be enough for me. I'd have had the same problem, as my zoom wouldn't have resolved them any better than yours did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by and feel interesting to see the dolphins ;) You were lucky to see them and you did a good job about the photos. Dolphins are really friendly and they helped lots of fishermen from the sea. Love them! Thank you for sharing this, Loretta! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How to lucky to be there, just to see them. And thank you for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live near a coast where there was a whale watching platform. The whales were 'Southern Right' whales. People would park themselves for hours to try to catch a glimpse, and it was as if the whales would do some great things for photos but at other times, hard to get very much on camera.

    Must have been a restful experience for you to even know they were there poking out their finnies.

    ReplyDelete