Thursday 20 November 2008

DUSK

                                  DUSK

This time of year has made me pretty miserable at times. I miss the summer, I miss sitting out in my garden, I miss the long walks along the beach, I miss the sun on the sea and the bird song in the trees. To make it worse I have been quite stressed about getting all my autumn planting done with my Eco-Schools group at the school. I know there is a severe drop in temperature and a freeze expected this weekend which meant the planting had to be finished this week. Once the ground frost sets in there will be no more planting, my deadline was end of this week. I have been trying to find a small window in the weather where I could get the kids out to do the planting and on top of all that I am still struggling with the cold.

As you have seen, I did get the planting done, yesterday and today was cold but dry and I managed to get the kids outside and the planting finished. And then…………….as I was leaving school at 4 pm this afternoon the sun gave out the most glorious display imaginable.

It usually makes me miserable to think I am going home in the dark but today, as I left the school it was dusk, a most beautiful dusk, and it made me realise that there is no need to be sad just because the seasons change. The rest of the photos are here
http://forgetmenot525.multiply.com/photos/album/209/Dusk


6 comments:

  1. It does feel a bit weird when the days start getting shorter. And a dusky sky can lend to some melancholy. It's an extremely 'atmospheric' feeling and I personally like to think about taking that mood in for when I want to write something. No wonder so many writers started off their opus with 'it was a dark and stormy (dusky?) night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. again loretta these are wonderful and I to miss summer vey much.We are upposed to get snow tommorow and Sun. and Mon.I hope it won't be to bad down here because we don't get much snow and it is ahrd to drive till they clean it up.Summer oh summer where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each season has its raison d'être. It's nap time in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you photos of the sunset in your neck of the woods. This time of the year is always a little depressing and we are blessed to have moments like yours. Thanks for sharing Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank heavens you got the planting done before the first big frost.... yes, winter time can be hard on all of us.. the short daylight hours and the long nighttime hours.. it used to depress me to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I felt like I was wasting my day being at work and not out in the sun.... hope your little indoor garden keeps you occupied and content this winter... as for the sunset... it was fantastic. It's amazing how fast the sky can change at dusk or in the morning... in the wink of an eye, it can change completely.... it's amazing..

    ReplyDelete