Thursday 27 November 2008

Song Saturday; Trucking, Grateful Dead

Heard this on the radio the other day and it has been in my head ever since, another one I still have on vinyl!
Now I know my mind works in a strange way but I was already thinking about a transport theme this weekend. Like every one else around here I've been surrounded by images, words and thoughts of Thanks Giving. I began to think about all the extra food that's being bought, prepared and eaten and how all this extra food has been shipped around the country before ending on your table. Then I began to think about all the people who are traveling to spend Thanks Giving with friends and family, all that transporting of food and traveling of people adds up to lots of extra activity on the roads. Which is why my theme for this weekend is Transport, starting with this; Truckin by Grateful Dead




Truckin got my chips cashed in. keep truckin, like the do-dah man
Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin on.

Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on main street.
Chicago, new york, detroit and its all on the same street.
Your typical city involved in a typical daydream
Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Dallas, got a soft machine; houston, too close to new orleans;
New yorks got the ways and means; but just wont let you be, oh no.

Most of the cast that you meet on the streets speak of true love,
Most of the time theyre sittin and cryin at home.
One of these days they know they better get goin
Out of the door and down on the streets all alone.

Truckin, like the do-dah man. once told me youve got to play your hand
Sometimes your cards aint worth a dime, if you dont layem down,

Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been.

What in the world ever became of sweet jane?
She lost her sparkle, you know she isnt the same
Livin on reds, vitamin c, and cocaine,
All a friend can say is aint it a shame?

Truckin, up to buffalo. been thinkin, you got to mellow slow
Takes time, you pick a place to go, and just keep truckin on.

Sittin and starin out of the hotel window.
Got a tip theyre gonna kick the door in again
Id like to get some sleep before I travel,
But if you got a warrant, I guess youre gonna come in.

Busted, down on bourbon street, set up, like a bowlin pin.
Knocked down, it gets to wearin thin. they just wont let you be, oh no.

Youre sick of hangin around and youd like to travel;
Get tired of travelin and you want to settle down.
I guess they cant revoke your soul for tryin,
Get out of the door and light out and look all around.

Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been.

Truckin, Im a goin home. whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin on.
Hey now get back truckin home.

13 comments:

  1. great song
    that reminds me
    i missed my traditional thanksgiving "alices restaurant"

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just reminded me, someone posted ''Alices Restaurant'' here yesterday, don't remember who though, have to go look for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A golden oldie. Bet it's a favourite among truckers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went to youtube to get my fix

    lol

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A mournful wistful poem, so evocative of the Sixties, but also of every trip taken by the weary traveler. There are the references to America's big cities, to the pains and joys of road trips, and in the end, a metaphor from life itself. Many people feel poetry waned in the latter part of the 20th century; I think that some of the best poetry was done by the troubadours of the time, including the Grateful Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bennett, for some reason never had you figured as a 'Grateful Dead' fan..........:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you..............how about posting it, don't keep it to yourself.....................''share'' !!

    such a great singalong... ''and you can have anything you want..... in Alices Restaraunt''

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the movie Alice's Restaurant from high school. I was part of a movie appreciation class and all the students had to discuss the movie later. Interesting blog, Loretta. I have slow connection problems right now so I can't see the clip but would like to. My fave trucking song on pop radio is 'Convoy'. What a fun song, it's not heard enough on the radio these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can't hear the track here you can just listen to it direct from youtube

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYKqPGn1d4

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm back after checking something out. I'd always thought the words to the line 'Most of the cast you meet...' was 'Most of the cats you meet'... I even listened to this twice and www.sing.365.com says that I'm right that it's cats and not cast. Some of the others I checked did have cast though. I'm sure my students think it's funny that we don't always understand every word in songs. I remember years ago a student brought a U2 tape because he wanted to know what a particular song said. Another teacher and myself listened over and over to it and we still didn't understand the words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you are right, must admit I didn't notice this when I copied the words ( I just did a copy /paste) without really reading it. Bit I seem to remember the words being cats not cast, Could just be a simple typing error since both words have the same letters but with the last two letters in reverse order, guess that is a simple mistake to make. Like I said.... I just did copy /paste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And the words do sound a lot alike, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello, loretta,,i'm back checking out things on your page,,hope that's ok,,i love poems and music,,the written words to songs as well as the song itself being sung,,and i like grateful dead,,been awhile since i've heard any of their music though,,ty for sharing

    ReplyDelete