Friday 26 August 2011

Song Saturday; The Fifth Element Music Video

  (1997) (RyoDrake Productions)

Being a lover of the weird, bizarre and wonderful, this iconic piece of film made a lasting impression on my. For me, this one song made the film, it’s a wonderfully magic morphing of bizarre SF fantasy and perfect opera. And wow……….what a costume
It is sang  by  Inva Mula  an Albanian opera soprano and actress whose mother and father were both opera singers, under their guidance she began her soprano career at an early age.
Mula is  best known to Western film goers as the voice of the Diva Plavalaguna in the film The Fifth Element, where she is credited as Inva Mulla Tchako. In the film (released in 1997) she performed the aria "Oh, giusto cielo!...Il dolce suono" (the mad scene) from Gaetano Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor, and "The Diva dance" song.
Director Luc Besson, admired  Maria Callas, but her 1950s EMI Classics recording of "Lucia" wasn't clear enough to use as a film soundtrack, so Callas's agent Michel Glotz, who had produced this recording, introduced him to Mula. The first video is the finished film version and the second video is the complete ‘green screen’ performance, some of which was cut from the film.
( information from Wikipedia)


13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful voice. I'll have to admit that Bladerunner is one of my favourite films partly because of the music of Vangelis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep that was a good movie, so sad, the music made the atmosphere, I like Rachel's song but they cut it from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No question a beautiful voice and a memorable performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. NEVER SAW THE FILM but this is very cool and very different _ hence appealing

    ReplyDelete
  5. you really should see the film, its a good movie, and Blade Runner is a good movie too in case you've not seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the power of the human voice

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect Nemo..............another movie to add to our list of 'great movie music'.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this freaky little film ~ I have the dvd ~ my grandson's 5 just a little young for it yet~ this scene was certainly the highlight !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought of showing it to my grandchildren..........but I think I will, so glad you see why I think this is the best bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a big fan of Luc Besson's movies, although I didn't think this was one of his better ones. This was one of the highlights of the movie though. You can guess approx when the movie was released by how much hair Bruce Willis has. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This scene is totally amazing in that film, myself, like many that has the Fifth Element as one of their all-time favourite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favourite moments from one of the all-time great movies.

    ReplyDelete