Sunday 29 June 2008

How Many Wild Flowers Can YOU Name???

How many wild flowers can you name?

Today has been a happy day, my computer is returned to me, de-bugged, installed, connected and behaving moderately well. The only minor hic-up I am left with is the mysterious and total absence of all sound on any imported video or music. This is most odd since I am able to play CD’s and DVD’s on the computer. But, after being computer-less for more than a week I can cope for a while longer without YouTube. And so, knowing I would be able to sit here happily playing on my computer tonight, I decided to have a bit of a walk along the cliffs and maybe bring back some nice photos to share.

 

It was a gloriously hot and sunny afternoon  with strong blustering winds. The gulls love those strong air currents they ‘sit’ in the air allowing them selves to be taken higher and higher with out moving a muscle, just relying on the power of the wind. Then they tumble sideways, releasing themselves from the air stream and glide back to the rocks below. Just before they hit the rocks they change angle, their feet come forward, outstretched at 45 degrees below and in front of the body and the wings fold behind them, pointing skyward. It’s at this angle that the birds land on the rocks. It’s quite amazing to sit at the top of the cliffs looking down onto the outcrop stacks where the gulls nest. This is a place that looks as if it should be quiet and peaceful but it very rarely is and today it was noisier then ever. The gulls screeched, the waves crashed and the wind howled. Despite the strong winds I managed to walk quite a way along the cliff top path, and in doing so could not help noticing how many wild flowers are in bloom at the moment. As I walked and took photos and walked some more and took more photos an idea began to form. I thought to myself,

    ‘I wonder if I could find all the names to all these wild     plants.’

And then I thought to my self,

   ‘I wonder how many people actually know what these plants are called.’

All of which is quite sad really, if I were a child walking this path 100 years ago not only would I know the name of every plant I would also know what it could be used for. I would know which plants were edible, which were poisonous and which had a medical use. I would know how to pick these plants, how to store these plants and which part of the plant was useful, the flowers, the roots, the stems or the leaves. All this knowledge that was once so common, known to every one, is now lost to all but a few.

So…… here are all the photos, how many can YOU name??, answers in the comments box please.

http://forgetmenot525.multiply.com/photos/album/64/The_Wild_Flowers_of_Seaton_Cliffs_29.06.08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forget-me-not5275/sets/72157605884414459/

5 comments:

  1. Well, I did my best, you can tell me how many I was right on. I am sure some have many different names. It was beautiful to walk along the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like such a wonderful place! I would have to spend the day outside!

    I too just got my PC back from having the hard drive blown clean and everything reinstalled.... got it home and reinstalled the printer, but can NOT get the speakers to work! what a pain.... but just so glad to have it back... will settle..... welcome back.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic walk and view. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lorretta the walk was wonderful ty and yes it is sad that we don't know much anymore about our botanical world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said it was noisier than usual, I thought you meant human noise pollution. The noise of the wind, waves and gulls can be relaxing. Sorry I'm a city person. You're right about it being good to know about plants, because, as you say, some can be poisonous - probably the most beautiful ones. I know in the Pyrenees there are fantastic plants that I've never seen before and of which are mostly poisonous. Thanks for this lovely description. None of them would be your famous thistles, would they?

    ReplyDelete