Thursday 26 June 2008

SunSet on the Summer Solstice




These photos were taken on the night of the Solstice, 20/06/08. I wanted to show how late the sunset is here and how the last of the sun doesn't actually go before midnight. I walked from my house, along the park overlooking the sea, down through the town, to the harbour and back again. The last two photos were taken outside my house looking North, one at 11.30 and one at midnight. By midnight the last of the suns rays had finally gone but there was still a slight glow in the sky toward the North. Dawn came just a few hours later, by 3am it was getting light again. Some of these photos are not very good but they are un-edited, I wanted to post them exactly as they were taken.
The name of the photo is the time.... ie... 22.06.jpg was taken at 22.06 hrs

23 comments:

  1. they are all quite beautiful. thanks for sharing them. ; D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am up for anything that has to do with water and boats, especially at that time of day. Beautiful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are magnificent!! The remind me of the White Nights of Russian when I was there many years ago. You must live fairly far north.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! It reminds me of National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great shot use in twisted for ppf today my friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for all the nice comments and it's really good to be back online. Unfortunatly I don't have my pc back yet, I've managed to get my little laptop sorted and am using that for now but it's just not powerful enough to do very much with so I'm thinking PP, along with most other things, will have wait a while longer. I hope to have my PC returned and be 'back to normal' over the weekend, back to blogs, PP, Art Sunday. and every thing else. Oh this has been a hell of a long week without any computer or internet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely shots, Loretta.... Hard to believe that there is still light in the sky at midnight... then I have to remember how far north you live..... you're a lot closer to the North Pole than I am. The shots are stunning and I'll go back and look at them again and again.... Peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the silhouette effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The water's surface is really smooth and quiet..... Makes for a terrific mirror...

    ReplyDelete
  10. hard to believe that this is 10:36 at night. So much light!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you do great with silhouettes...... love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. moments away from midnight and there's still light in the sky....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great series about the Summer Solstice in your part of the world..... Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete