Monday 15 September 2008

Update on copyright , contacts only

OK folks...............here's the reply, what do you think???

First of all, thank you for your prompt reply to our first message about Joan Eardley postings, and our apologies for not getting back to you again quite so quickly.

Joan Eardley’s work may be much better known and appreciated than you might think, given its enormous popularity in galleries throughout Britain and in some galleries overseas, and also the very high prices which the works realise in auctions, to say nothing of the very popular Eardley exhibition which took place in the RSA Gallery in Edinburgh at the end of last year, and which was attended by getting on for 50,000 people.

The main point is that all works remain the copyright of the artist/writer etc until seventy years after their death. This is so that control may be kept over any use that others may wish to make of their creations. This, of course, applies to all artists’ work – not just Joan’s - and permission should be sought before publishing any copyright works. This is not simply for reasons of courtesy, but also to comply with the law. Copyright law is breached very often, in many cases through ignorance; but you should be aware that you could be risking serious problems by not complying. The financial penalties can be enormous.

Copyright laws are tremendously complicated, but if you would like further guidance on the matter, we would refer you to the website of the Design and Artists Copyright Society (http://www.dacs.org.uk/) where you can follow the links to see the FAQs on copyright which will help to clarify the situation.

There is one further complication which we feel we should draw to your attention. “Lifting” illustrations from other publications without permission breaches the copyright of the publishers. For example, we noted that you included the front cover of the catalogue published in conjunction with the Edinburgh exhibition. Permission to do that should have been obtained from the National Galleries of Scotland whose copyright that book is. As we say, enormously complicated business, but all this must be adhered to.

All that being said, Eardley Copyright and Editions would be happy to allow you to reproduce Joan Eardley paintings and drawings in your album without fee under the following conditions:

• The pictures used should be of low resolution.

• A prominent acknowledgment should in every case accompany the pictures, to read: “By permission the Eardley estate”.

• The following additional information should also appear: “Further information can be found at www.eardleyeditions.com”.

If these conditions are adhered to, we are happy that you should go ahead.

For and behalf of Eardley Copyright and Editions, Glasgow G61

Hmmmm this all sounds very genuine, what do you think??
I'm off to my drawing class right now but will give this some serious thought this evening.

16 comments:

  1. They sound like picky pain in the asses for all this. After all its not a website your posting .......its just a blog. And if your blog is only open to the network or less even Google wont find it so its not like your posting to the world. Frankly this would put me off ever posting any of their things again. I understand what they are saying but this is ridiculous in my eyes. I never heard of this artist and yet because of your page we have. This in turn might make some look for their website and actually buy . Instead after reading all this ......I never want to see their stuff. So its a fine line here and I think they made a mistake doing all this over someones tiny lil blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, thats nice of you, maybe you would like to tell them that because that is exactly how I feel. They may think she is a very well known artist and in her own circles she is, but she certainly was not known to the people I introduced her to, which was the whole point of the blog. I don't think I will post her stuff again, the whole thing has left a bitter taste, think I should forget about it now. I mean...........this is a blog..... not rocket science and not something I expect to have to jump through hoops for. !!!

    http://eardleyestate.multiply.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted this on their guestbook ...


    This is my point of view on this whole thing about you complaint on the copyright. You may not agree thats your right but look at this from one tiny little person perspective. This is what I wrote on my friends site that you complained about.

    They sound like picky pain in the asses for all this. After all its not a website your posting .......its just a blog. And if your blog is only open to the network or less even Google wont find it so its not like your posting to the world. Frankly this would put me off ever posting any of their things again. I understand what they are saying but this is ridiculous in my eyes. I never heard of this artist and yet because of your page we have. This in turn might make some look for their website and actually buy . Instead after reading all this ......I never want to see their stuff. So its a fine line here and I think they made a mistake doing all this over someones tiny lil blog.

    OH and by the way. ...just so you know ..I am an art collector. I buy real art.....originals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...............he he he ...........that's really sweet of you hun but i think her stuff is mega expensive.....but lovely sentiment thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the quilting world, the copyright laws have gotton totally ridiculous too. not permitted to copy any patterns, sometimes not even for yourself, it goes on and on. like anything else-some people have gone to the extremes. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. yr all so sweet............but now on to happier things..........I'm off to my drawing class, catch up again in couple of hours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im serious I collect art........and I do have a few expensive pieces and know a artist or two personally. Thats why I said that there. Its truth. You can check my blog on Steven Power.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it does sound genuine. Some of the English sounds a bit Spanglish to me, but that may be a vocabulary difference. I think there are worse crimes than posting an artist's paintings on one's blog. Thinking about this, who hasn't purchased a copy of a famous work of art and then had it appear in a photo that you'd taken of the family? And if you post that photo on the Internet, are you infringing on any copyrights? I think this is going a bit far and I can't help but think they are after money because that site sells prints. I agree with Sea. Her paintings are impressive and thanks to your blog I'd recognise her work if I ever saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sea
    If I do an Art Sunday I try to post an example or two then send to the site
    I am hardly gaining anything from putting it on my humble blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might I make a suggestion (I hope you don't mind) that when you publish pics of an artist that you like for your blog, that you only publish a few, rather than a greater number, and of low resolution. Then supply the link for people to further explore the artist's images for themselves. Maybe this would cause less offence to them who would be on your case as these people with the Eardley paintings have been.
    Blog on intrepid blogger!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds legitimate to me. It also sounds like some people have nothing better to do than to prowl blogs. If the work is so popular and in demand, how do they have time to pick nits? Sounds like there are too many people employed at the trust.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should clarify. Oh pish posh on this whole business. I understand copyrights and do my best to comply on my site. But really, it would appear there are too many people with too much time on their hands. I hope you have a wonderful time at your drawing class and perhaps we can discuss it some time at length at a tearoom in Glascow. Or Cheltenham.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in Glasgow on Sat 18th Oct to have to have a pot of herbal tea and a home made cake at the Willow Tearooms (as designed by Mackintosh, see blog) followed by an afternoon at the Kelvin Grove gallery (home of the Orange Blind), please feel free to join me.............:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to read more--how did this all start, a blog?

    ReplyDelete