Tuesday 28 February 2012

Tis late and I should be in bed.............but before I go, I leave you with a question; Tonight I watched one of those 'how do you make' programmes and tonight's item was.........an American baseball glove. It was fascinating, lots of layers, lots of hand stitching and hand cutting and very labour intensive from start to finish. I was impressed at the skill of these workers. BUT.........I began to wonder, are these guys paid a low wage in line with other low/ semi skilled factory workers? OR are they paid more than basic factory workers because they are in fact very skilled craft people?............... I wonder because when the programme first started it looked like a pretty ordinary production line factory, But then we began to see what a skilled job it really is, I was impressed :-)

4 comments:

  1. i honestly don't know

    i know professional baseball has rules for balls and bats
    but i think the players control the gloves

    from the price of the good ones
    i would think the manufactures are well paid

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't even find out if they are made in this country (US). Rawlings, the company that seems to make the most, is headquartered in Kentucky, USA.

    Some very expensive Nike sports shoes are made in sweatshops overseas. So I don't know. I love that program too - "How It's Made" they call it over here I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being British, I have absolutely no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Nemo and Bennett for the American input :-)
    guess there are no baseball glove makers out there.

    ReplyDelete