Wednesday 28 March 2012

Painting class

I started my afternoon painting class last Thursday. It was great to get back to class, it seems forever since I attended art class. I went totally unprepared and as every one else started setting up their stuff and getting out their work, I sat there with pristine canvas on easel and box of newly opened acrylics beside me. In the end...........I realised we were supposed to be 'painting', we were not going to be told what to do, and off I wandered in search of inspiration which I found in the form of a stack of old national geographic photos. This is what I came up with. A landscape that reminds me of the glens but was in fact based on an old photo of some place in America. I painted my way through the three hour class only to be disappointed with the result. I've  spent the rest of the week reworking this painting until now, the evening before my next class, when I think I'm fairly satisfied with it. I'd forgotten how easy it is to lose all track of time day after day when absorbed in a painting.
So; this is the first one, and tomorrow I start on the second one, hopefully as the novelty wears off I will become lass obsessed. 

16 comments:

  1. It takes my breath away...so bright and balanced!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is just brilliant, Loretta! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!

    bravo!

    i love it

    the color
    the light
    everything

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww thanks folks :-) glad you like it...........hopefully the next one wont take me all week to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. michelangelo said the same thing about the sistine chapel

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) lol.............his little toenail had more talent that the rest us us mere mortals can ever hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. at least you have a wisker

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the vibrant colors too and I really love all the lines in the painting-how things are sectioned off and then the pointed sky brings me right into looking at the farm

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a new painting to start tomorrow but I'm taking this one in too to show him ( the tutor) I'll let you know what he says.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bright colors seem more like an American landscape than the muted tones of Scotland. Looking forward to your next painting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's really lovely, Loretta. I'm rather envious, I wish I had even a little artisitic ability with brush and paint or even just pencil, but alas I have none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the colours.I wish I could pain or draw but really,no ,I'm useless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your painting as always. I know I'm my own critic when it comes to cooking. Last week I made a cake for one of my students and think and hope I was the only one who wasn't satified with the icing on it. Can't wait to see your next piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy seeing your work.

    On Friday afternoons, I attend an art club. Yesterday I worked on trying to fix some paintings I had that weren't quite right. Not ready to post yet.

    ReplyDelete