Monday 3 October 2011

I HATE BANKS.......................oh the irony..............this month I almost didn't make my loan repayment, there I sat on my living room floor counting out coppers from the penny pot. (not a usual occurrence just a particularly bad month) I counted ten pounds worth of pennies, hauled them down to the bank, deposited them and asked the cashier to check there was sufficient in my account to make my loan repayment and also to check how much longer the loan had to go. She disappeared for a long time, when she eventually came back, she didn't have the date of my final repayment, which was what I had asked for. Instead she had another bank employee with her who asked me why I wanted to know?, what was I thinking? did I want to extend my loan? would I like more money etc etc etc..........she seemed pretty determined to drive me further into debt. Logic didn't seem to work, I pointed out the obvious, I can't afford the loan I have, I am trying to clear the debt, I want less debt not more..............and then I called her irresponsible for offering a loan that had not been asked for, to a person who couldn't afford it and didn't want it...........Her response? contrition? nope..........she just said the money was there when I wanted it, the loan ( which I didn't ask for) had been approved. I HATE BANKS.... bloody idiots no wonder we are all in such a state. And I still don't know the exact date of my final repayment !

13 comments:

  1. Most of us probably have horror stories about banks and credit companies, but you don't need to hear more bad bank stories. These days it seems like those looking for financial assistance can't find it and those who aren't looking for it have lines of credit that they didn't ask for or want. Like you are doing, I have been paying off what I can and not taking on any more responsibility. I applaud you for being financially responsible. If you write a note to the bank manager requesting the loan balance and the date of final repayment, they should be obligated to respond in writing. Of course, they will most likely still try to encourage your new business, which you can smile about as you ignore them. Perhaps there could be some comfort in knowing that you are credit worthy and have their pre-approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate banks too.
    My mother had never defaulted so when she was selling her house she asked for some money to fix and sell it and they refused her.
    She had always paid on time which was why she couldn't figure out why they wouldn't help her. Eventually she switched banks because of that.
    ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a similar experience with a bank in the past. They simply cannot seem to grasp the concept of a person not wanting to be in debt. It's a sad statement on the way financial institutions and the economy in general are run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets worse, I've been into the bank twice since then and both times the chashier ahs told me the loan has been approved and I can have the money when ever I want. I HATE BANKS. I'm doing my very best to tidy up all outstanding agreements and then transfer to a non-profit bank, a co-operativer bank.............can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope you don't have to start paying interest on a loan you haven't asked for! If you check your account online, you may find that information. I think mine includes when my mortgage finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this gets cleared up shortly. You should be able to get that info in writing. Maybe stand there until?

    ReplyDelete
  7. DJ, i think so, too. make it clear that you will NOT budge until you are properly heard and acknowledged, AND get your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You chose on a good course of action, by taking your business elsewhere. Through your experience, we are all reminded that banks are in the business of making money for themselves. What they do for us is way down the list of their priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still hate banks............I mean how can what they did even be legal?? The more I think about it the more it pisses me off. That dam woman went away, did a credit check on me (which I hadn't asked for, how else could they approve a loan?) and then calculated and approved a loan I hadn't asked for and pretty obviously can't afford. Now every time I go to the cashier desk, which is as infrequently as possible, I'm reminded the money is there when I want it. It's crazy, AND immoral, AND irresponsible, to offer MORE money to someone who struggles so much to make a repayment they have to suffer the public humiliation of counting out £10 worth of pennies to make a monthly repayment. Apparently bank employees now have to meet 'targets' which in English means they have to 'sell' a certain number of loans every month. How the hell is any of this good practice, how is it responsible, or logical, or moral, or even bloody legal...........I HATE BANKS

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just added double glazing salesmen to my list...........I hate them too...........just writing up my latest thoughts on them..........and its not going to be pretty !

    ReplyDelete